What is a massage roller?
A massage roller is a foam roller with a density that is more or less firm and which can use your body weight for deep massaging.
- For example, you can place the massage roller under your back while you lie down and move backwards and forwards to roll in under your back. Similarly, if you want to massage your calves, thighs or glutes, just place the roller under the relevant area and roll it.
- It is the weight of your body that puts the pressure on your muscles, ensuring a deep and relaxing massage. You can always start off gently and then increase the pressure.
If you feel an area of tension, a more painful point (also known as a trigger point), be sure to work it properly.
The various types of massage rollers?
There are different lengths and diameters of roller with various degrees of firmness to suit everyone's needs:
- For a gentle massage, choose a roller with a smooth and comfortable foam.
- For a more intense massage, choose a roller with a firm and structured foam.
- For an even more effective massage, you need an electronic massage roller; the vibrations relax your muscles even more with less effort.
If you want a product you can take everywhere for training sessions and competitions, there are some really handy mini-rollers.
Advice by Sport